See a Beautiful Old Historic Plantation on Cane River
Louis Metoyer, from a Spanish Land Grant in the late 1700’s, began what is now known as Melrose. The oldest dwellings date to circa 1796. The Main House was built in 1833.
The complex includes seven outbuildings, each dedicated to its own purpose. The Oak trees on the grounds are over 250 years old and are adorned with Resurrection Fern. Melrose has been a Yucca, Indigo and Cotton plantation. It was built by Free People of Color who were its first residents. It has been an Artists Colony. It was the work place of Clementine Hunter, a world renowned Folk Artist. Melrose Plantation is a “must see” National Historic Landmark.